One person has been reported gravely injured following an explosion in one of the hostels on the newly-renovated Benue State School of Nursing and Midwifery has left one student severely injured.

Daily Sun reports  that the gas cooker explosion injured , Stella Mekiah, a level one student, who was preparing her lunch after returning from church last Sunday when the incident occurred.

The principal of the school, Mrs. Victoria Gusa, while narrating the incident to newsmen, on Tuesday, said the victim who was admitted into the school about a month ago sustained severe burns from her hair to her abdomen.

“Stella had returned from church and was preparing her lunch inside her hostel when the gas cooker exploded and burnt her severely.”

“When the gas cooker exploded, it caught her hair and burnt her down to her abdomen. As I speak to you, she is in the intensive care unit of the Federal Medical Center (FMC), Apir. She lost a lot of fluid and even though she talks, her speech is incoherent.”

But reacting swiftly, Acting Governor of the state, Engr. Benson Abounu who described the development as ‘unfortunate’, however, frowned at the habit of cooking inside the hostel of the newly renovated school.

Abounu who visited the school yesterday maintained that a situation where students cook inside the hostel was highly unacceptable even as he frowned at the absence of a central dinning hall at the institution.

The acting Governor therefore directed the Commissioner of Health and Human Services, Dr. (Mrs.) Cecilia Ojabo to immediately step in and address the anomaly.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here